A Monster Humanity Has Got To Live It By Samuel Ajayi:
Here are some realities of the monstrous COVID-19 we have to adjust to even if they look a bit discomforting.
- Number of cases will continue to rise in our country in the days and weeks ahead (and this will always be scary for the lilly-livered like us) until they begin to flatten.
- Continued total lockdown won’t stop rise in cases. This was proven in countries like Italy, US, UK and Spain. It will only reduce the spread.
- We hate the truth, but the nature of Africans, and Nigerians especially, can never allow us to have COMPLETE SOCIAL DISTANCING. It is totally impossible. Communalism is in our DNA. There are risks we will always take based on “trust”! We do with sex even with HIV in mind!
- It will also get to a point when no matter the figure we hear, it won’t scare us again. That is the nature of human psychology.
- Social distancing, even if observed in abeyance here, will continue till at least, 2022!
- Even if vaccine is discovered today, it won’t go round the whole world tomorrow.
- First known case of HIV was 1959. The United States recorded its first case in 1981. Nigeria got hers in 1985. It sounded as if it was what would end humanity. But we kept having more and more cases until it reached tens of millions but, even without cure, humans devised ways to live with it!
What then do we do now?
This is where governments across the world have to put on their thinking caps. Life, no matter how, has to find a way of returning to normal.
HUMANITY MUST STRIKE A BALANCE.
Arsenal Football Club of England would resume training this morning.
Italian Serie A clubs told to resume training by May 4.
Spain started allowing kids to go out yesterday.
Let me tell the scaremongers: THERE WONT BE EVER BE A TIME IN NIGERIA WHEN PEOPLE WILL BE DYING IN HUNDREDS OR EVEN TENS OF THOUSANDS DUE TO COVID-19.
That won’t happen. I am not saying this to make us happy but even statistics and environment won’t support it.
There are those who said government is lying to us. Let’s say we have TIMES FORTY of present number, that is about FORTY-EIGHT THOUSAND CASES.
Even at that, we won’t burst.
We may have to sacrifice certain social activities, VIA GOVERNMENT LEGISLATION, like partying, marriage ceremonies, burials, religious gathering, market activities and so on.
But we have gat to get our lives back.
Like I said yesterday, I doubt if I am making sense.
.. Samuel O. Ajayi is A Journalist from Nigeria.